Saturday 25 January 2014

Chicken Skin isn't just for Chickens! How I treat my condition - Keratosis Pilaris

Are you one of the unfortunate 50% of the world's population that suffers from the condition Keratosis Pilaris? Otherwise known as "CHICKEN SKIN"? You are NOT alone! 

WHAT IS THIS CONDITION:  

Keratosis pilaris (ker-uh-TOE-sis pih-LAIR-is) is a common skin condition that causes rough patches and small, acne-like bumps, usually on the arms, thighs, cheeks and buttocks. Keratosis pilaris bumps are usually white, sometimes red, and generally don't hurt or itch. Keratosis pilaris can be frustrating because it's difficult to treat. However, keratosis pilaris isn't often serious and usually disappears by age 30, but in my case, IT HAS NOT! In the meantime, prescription medications and self-care measures can improve the appearance of keratosis pilaris. 

IMAGES OF WHAT THE CONDITION LOOKS LIKE:





This condition, often causes people to feel embarrassed. I personally, hate the look of it at the back of my thighs.  I always feel very self conscious when wearing shorts or a bathing suit. (please note that these are stock photos and not images of my condition, as I could not master the technique of taking a selfie of the back of my legs for you, however, from the above photos, you will get an idea of what to expect).

WHAT TREATMENT WORKED FOR ME:


Step #1

I recommend to make sure to exfoliate the effected area with a scrub that has some Gylcolic Acid everyday before your shower until the effected area has cleared up or subsided.  I would not go more than 2 weeks consecutively. Afterwards, maintain this process to once per week.  

What worked for me is from DERMAdoctor KP Duty.  This is a medicated/chemical scrub that you apply once to twice a week on the effected areas to exfoliate the skin.  You can pick this product up at Sephora and it runs at about $52 Canadian.  I've included the link below for your reference.


http://www.sephora.com/kp-duty-body-scrub-P147925?icid2=Dermadoctor_KPDuty_Carousel_P147925_link





Step #2
After exfoliating your area with the KP duty from DERMAdoctor, you want to make sure to moisturize your skin area with an rich emollient moisturizer.   After you have eliminated the condition or it has greatly improved, you should continue to moisturize the area on a daily basis, both in the morning and/or evening. 

My favourite is from L'Occitane en Provence, Ultra Rich Body Cream Rich Sea Butter.  Although this product is on the expensive side, it is very thick and hydrating and very effective.  You can find this product in L'Occitane's stand alone retail stores, highend department stores, Sephora or online at the L'Occitane website. Retails at $48 Canadian.


http://www.sephora.com/ultra-rich-body-cream-rich-in-shea-butter-P238001?skuId=1169176







Step #3
I have recently discovered another product which is a one step process which has proven to show me some incredible results and is extremely effective in only a few days.  The product is Bump Stopper-2 Double Strength. I recommend using this product, everyday for up to 2 weeks or until area is clear.  Afterwards, you can use only once to twice per week.  The directions state to use after shaving.  In most cases, effected areas are ones that we do not shave, so I used this cream as a treatment cream only and ignored the "shaving" part.  Secondly, when I used this cream, I did not apply moisturizer on top as I did not want to diminish the effectiveness of this cream to the effected areas of my skin.  

This product's primary use is to treat razor bumps from shaving, however, I tried this on my Chicken Skin area and it really improved the area in about 3 days.  The results were amazing.  The only issue I have with this product is that you only receive 0.5oz which really doesn't last that long.  I was able to use the product for about 3 weeks tops.  It claims it is a 30 day supply, but I believe that to be only for small effected areas.  For larger areas, you will not be able to stretch the product out for that long.  The price ranges from $4.99 - $8 depending on where you purchase it.  It is available at Sally's Beauty Supply, Walmart USA and of course directly from their website, which I've linked below. Please note they have 2 types of this cream, I recommend the Double Strength if you have severe razor bumps or the Keratosis Pilaris condition.  I have not tried the regular strength, therefore, my recommendations are based on my experience with this strength of the product and I can't comment on the others effectiveness.


http://www.bumpstopper.com/catalog/





CONCLUSION:

This skin condition is one that can reoccur even after treatment, therefore you must be diligent in your treatment and make sure to keep up with maintaining the area with a weekly exfoliation and intense moisturization regime.  I personally have seen a big improvement by using the above products and hope that I've helped any of you out there suffering from the same condition.

Thank you so much for reading my Blog!


Have a beautiful day and Ciao for now!




No comments:

Post a Comment